(Updated for December 2019!) Our 12 Countries of Christmas Tour through Europe was one of my favorite things we’ve ever done. While our trip was a month long I realize most people will do a portion of our itinerary over 7-10 days. This packing list is what I carried for all 12 countries, however I repeated outfits – a lot – and think this list would be even better suited for shorter trips!
What to Pack for a Tour of European Christmas Markets
- 3+ Coats – Since you’re outside all the time I brought several coats to stay warm (obvious) and so I wasn’t wearing the same thing in every photo. I recommend a mix of plaid and solid coats that you can make feel different with scarves, hats and mittens! (Mine are mostly old and sold out but I love this (Meghan Markle vibes!), this is this year’s version of my old plaid Gloverall, have this in black but love the red, and would totally add a faux shearling in a neutral hue to the mix next time.
- 3+ Sweaters – cashmere turtleneck sweaters will always be my go-to for the coldest days, but I also can’t resist a seasonal fair isle knit! I mostly went for solids to compliment my coats, but love this, this (so chic!), this, and this (a classic!) Had I known about Dudley Stephens during our Christmas market tour I would have definitely packed one or two of these turtlenecks!
- 4+ Flannels and thermals – I brought two flannels and liked layering them over and under my cashmere turtlenecks for different looks, and usually had thermal underwear as a base layer.
- 3 pairs of Skinny jeans – the ideal pant for tucking into wooly socks and boots. I packed a black pair, blue denim, and white cordoroy.
- 2 Wool Mini Skirts – I liked mixing it up with mini skirts on warmer days or when we had a nicer event to go to. You can never go wrong with a solid or a plaid mini over two pairs of tights!
- Wool socks – bring 5+ pairs or you’ll be washing them constantly!
- 1 pair of Boots – I wore these bean boots for the entire trip, and would go with this shearling style for even more warmth if I was going to do it again!
- 2 pairs of Flannel Pajamas and slippers – After a day outside you’re going to want to slip into cozy pajamas and slippers (adorable plaid version) the moment you get back to your hotel!
- Beanies – I brought two of these beanies (one white and one red) and a pair of cute earmuffs!
- Scarves – I brought a big blanket scarf, faux fur stole, and plaid wool one for extra warmth.
- Mittens – I found handknit red snowflake mittens at a market in Norway and wore them almost every day of the trip! These leather tech gloves are also super versatile.
- Ski Pants – I brought a pair and wore them for downhill skiing in Austria over Christmas! Love the vintage look of these (or these!) with a fairisle sweater!