From the iconic ‘little black dress’ introduced by Coco Chanel in the 1920s to the myriad versions we see today from the street to the runway, the black dress remains an essential in every modern wardrobe. Whether it’s a simple silhouette, a touch of fringe, or a bold asymmetrical cut, the appeal of the black dress never fades. As we look to transition our summer wardrobes into fall a black dress is often the answer to “what do I wear” this time of year, and I’ve rounded up 15 of the most flattering styles from around the web that you’ll reach for again and again.
- This black bias cut dress skims your curves (including a baby bump!) and has a super flattering neckline. (I wear with this stick on bra!)
- This black caftan with feather cuffs is the fabulous evening version of this dress I wore in Capri. Just add some fun earrings and you’re good to go!
- I own and love this dress which feels very Jackie O – wear with ballet flats for a day of exploring your favorite city or slingback heels for dinner!
- The halter neckline and fun fringe trim on this dress are earning it rave reviews! (only $168!)
- This timeless polka dot chiffon dress would look great with a belt and a pair of pointed toe booties!
- This little mod dress with white accents has a thick (but not too thick) knit that is so chic with off white sandals or sneakers for running around town. I own it in another color and just love it!
- I love the semisheer details on this polished shirtdress which is perfect for business lunches.
- This linen midi dress looks like something Meredith Blake would wear for a day in Napa Valley.
- Smocking is every woman’s best friend and this strapless black dress can easily be dressed up with a chunky gold necklace and heels or down with a denim jacket.
- Several friends own and love this simple black strappy dress. Style with a statement heel and swipe of red lipstick!
- I love this jersey turtleneck midi dress, but be sure you add a fabulous belt (on sale!) to complete the look!
- The raffia bodice on this strapless dress is unexpected but oh-so-chic!
- The gathered v-neck of this black eyelet dress feels a little vintage yet totally modern at the same time.
- The tie waist on this classic shirt dress makes it something special.
- Only a couple left of this fabulous lace cocktail dress but it will be one you reach for again and again.