This savory yet bright take on a classic caesar salad recipe is a favorite for lunches or works well as a side salad at dinner. I use pine nuts instead of croutons for a little crunch while keeping the recipe very glucose friendly. (It’s Levels approved, I consistently get a 10/10 on this dish! See below.)
Brussels Sprout Caesar Salad
- 1 bag brussels sprouts (12-16 oz)
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- 4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-6 anchovies (optional)
- maldon salt and fresh ground pepper
- Cut the stem off each sprout then cut in half.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp EVOO in a large, heavy bottom skillet (I like using our cast iron skillet), then add your sprouts face down. Cook over medium-high heat undisturbed until they start to caramelize.
- While sprouts are cooking combine 2 tbsp EVOO, a squeeze of lemon, mustard, minced garlic, salt, pepper and 2 anchovies in a small bowl. Mix and mash the anchovies with a fork until the dressing emulsifies.
- Stir the sprouts occasionally until they’re a golden brown, crispy on the outside and cooked but firm on the inside. Add the pine nuts and cook for another minute but watch to ensure they brown but don’t burn.
- Move sprouts to a bowl and pour dressing over them. Mix to combine.
- Plate sprouts and finish with grated parmesan and a few extra anchovies and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Serve.
Glucose data via Levels
Made this for dinner tonight as a side with roast chicken and it was delicious! Will definitely make as a stand-alone dish in the future. Thank you for sharing!