There’s something wonderful about curling up on a cold winter night with a roaring fire and a cup of hot chocolate. While I once viewed the drink as a special treat equivalent to a dessert I’ve recently learned about all the benefits of cocoa powder, and now consider a mug of hot cocoa an opportunity to drink to my health.
Considered a superfood, cocoa’s biggest metabolic advantage is flavanols, a type of polyphenol that’s a naturally occurring antioxidant, and recent research indicates it may help reduce inflammation. Throw out the Swiss Miss or Nestle mix (you’ll want to after looking at the gross ingredients here) and give your family and friends a cozy beverage made with real ingredients that tastes amazing and supports their health.
Healthier Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups milk of choice (grass-fed whole milk, unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened cashew milk all work well)
- 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (we love this brand)
- organic maple syrup to taste
- organic dark chocolate bar, cut in shavings
- healthy marshmallows (optional)
Heat milk on the stove until it just starts to steam but not boil. Divide cocoa into mugs and pour in hot milk, stirring as you pour. Add a touch of maple syrup to taste. Top with dark chocolate shavings and healthy marshmallows. Enjoy!