When it comes to fall fashion, there’s one item that stands out: the cape. Simple, stylish, and incredibly versatile, it’s a piece that has always had a special place in my wardrobe. Perfect for the cooler weather, a cape adds warmth and can be a major style statement. So whether you’re going for a preppy look (for example) or a more modern twist as seen here, this classic garment seamlessly fits into any outfit.
The key to ensuring your cape looks fabulous and doesn’t overwhelm your figure is to keep your bottom half streamlined. Two easy formulas include wearing skinny jeans tucked into knee high boots, or if you opt for a relaxed jean with booties, make sure the booties have an almond or slightly pointed toe so they elongate your legs. For a dressier pairing, I love a cropped wool trouser paired with a pair of pointed toe pumps as seen here, or wearing a cape with a mini skirt that is within a couple inches of the cape’s hem is a great look with knee high boots as seen here.
On top you have a lot of options, depending on whether you’re using the cape as a piece of outerwear that will be removed when you go inside, or an integrated part of your wardrobe. Capes are a great option for throwing on over blazers or smaller jackets as they don’t have the limited space in the arm and shoulder that a normal coat would. However one of my favorite pairings is a simple turtleneck which will keep your neck warm and shows a little at the neckline and the arm vent of the cape.
Read on for a roundup of my favorite capes this season!
- I love the tonal glen check and detachable scarf on this cape, it looks like the designer jacket by Toteme which has been so popular for a fraction of the price!
- This simple black cape is elevated by gold buttons and double breasted styling. I love how the model is wearing it with a striped turtleneck.
- This classic camel cape the the perfect neutral topper for all your fall looks.
- Pricey but stunning, I love the trench styling on this gorgeous cape.
- This olive plaid number is a luxurious option you’ll enjoy for years to come. (Or get the look for 1/12th the price here.)
- This plaid zip-front cape includes gray, navy and camel, perfect for mixing and matching with other pieces in your wardrobe.
- If you opt for grays over browns for fall/winter this poncho is a great option.
- This elegant black cape is such a lovely evening option.
J.McLaughlin cape c/o (get 20% off full priced items with “Stacie20” through 10/28)